Sunday, February 27, 2011

The beginnings...


So yesterday, Jeff and I both had a productive day. Jeff got up early and left for work around 6:30am. He didn't wake me up when he left, like he usually does- I think he knew I needed the sleep (as I'd not been sleeping well lately). I had a terribly stressful dream and ended up waking up at 6:45, which ended up being a relief rather than annoying. I walked into the kitchen where Jeff had left music quietly playing for me- The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It was so peaceful and much appreciated after such a scary dream.

So, I got on the internet, just playing around and then decided I should get some work done- as I had a ton of homework to do- a ton! So, I got to work and worked and worked and worked. Of course I did take a couple of breaks throughout, but I also worked really hard on my homework.

Jeff came home around noon. He asked if we were still going to go to Williamsburg. I was still doing homework and hadn't even gotten dressed for the day. I said that I wasn't sure and that I should probably keep working on my homework. So, Jeff decided he was going to paint the room that would be the nursery. He went out and bought supplies and got to work. I continued to do homework, checking in on him every once in awhile.

Finally, Jeff and I decided we'd go out and go shopping if I could finish my homework by 6- it was 4. I continued to work on my homework- but I was having such a hard time. I was working on statistics and, well, we just do not get along. There were multiple times that I wanted to throw my computer (all of my homework is on the computer), but I didn't. I held it together. Jeff was really great and tried to offer help and would give me little backrubs to help calm my nerves. Finally, I finished around 7:30 and I asked if he wanted to go out. I hadn't been out of the house all day. So we went to a couple of stores and... we bought a crib! We didn't plan it out too well though because we had the car and the crib wouldn't fit in the car. So, I waited while he went back home to get the truck. Finally, we got home around 10:30. I had a quiz to take for the same math class. He did some touch-up painting and then started putting the crib together. I helped a little at the end, when I was done with my quiz, which, by the way, I failed. So, I spent all of that time trying to understand what it was I was doing and I still failed the quiz! So frustrating.

Anyway, so I'm pretty excited that our nursery is coming together. Of course it's not done yet, but we're pretty excited and I can't wait until we can get the rest of the furniture that we'll need and get the nursery complete! It feels good to have accomplished something. And, I am so proud of Jeff for working so hard to get it done- and for being sooo patient with me, because by the end of the evening, I was not in a good mood, well before we went shopping. Afterwards, I was thrilled. :) I really do have a terrific husband.

Oh yeah, and when Jeff first started painting, I couldn't tell if I liked the color. As you can see from the pictures, it started out as a dark green (which I had painted and I did a terrible job!) and the color we chose was a lighter, brighter green. At first though, it looked more like a greenish yellow and too bright. But with a second coat, I think it turned out quite nice. :)





Jeff is hard at work, painting over the dark green.. see how yellowish the paint looks?

The room has been painted and now Jeff is putting together the crib. :)

Okay, this picture of me is really scary, but I wanted to be included. Jeff offered to take a picture of me helping to put the crib together, but I thought this would suffice. I think I made the wrong choice. :/

And here is the crib set up in the painted room... What do you think? Obviously the nursery isn't done yet, but it feels good to have it started. Also, what do you think about the color? It looks tons better after a second coat, right? I like it. I love walking into the room- it feels like springtime (and I love the smell of fresh paint.)
Jeff found this rocking horse.

Well, there you have it folks... :)

P.S. So I went to the dentist this past week and I have no cavities! Wahoo! :) I was really happy to hear that my teeth look good. :) And I went to the doctor for another ultrasound because they were unable to get a good look at the baby's stomach last time. Everything looked great. Good news. Tomorrow, I will be 23 weeks pregnant (which means I will be six months pregnant next Monday- Kate, I'll make sure I take a picture for you).

P.P.S. Here's the quote of the day- It actually comes from my last lesson teaching in YW (I taught the beehives but was released today).

"The work of God is to bring to pass the eternal life of His children, and all that this entails in the birth, nurturing, teaching, and sealing of our Heavenly Father's children. Everything else is lower in priority. Think about that reality as we consider some teachings and some examples on priorities." -Dallin H. Oaks.

I've thought a lot about what my priorities are lately and what is really important for me to do. I sure hope I have them straight.

Happy Sabbath,

DeAnna :)

8 comments:

  1. The paint is SOO cute! And I LOVE the crib you chose! AND the rocking horse is super cute too! I bet it feels nice to get started on the space for your new little man! I'm so excited for you two, you'll be wonderful parents!

    Yeah, totally love the paint color... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps... please don't smell that paint TOO much. You don't want to damage the baby's brain cells before he's even born!! lol... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the color. I like the dark trim, it makes it stand out really nicely. I'm glad everything is going well with you all.
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, it looks splendid! So sorry about your "pregnancy brain". Soon it will turn into "mommy brain" and then when your kids are all adults you might get your brain back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote this once but forgot to fill out the "verification word".
    1. I love the color choice of the room and I love the crib-so cute!
    2. Sorry about the homework and test.
    3. Now that you have been released (tear) you and Jeff need to come over for dinner soon so I can see you!
    4. You cracked me up about your picture-you are too funny!
    5. I hope your bad dreams go away soon-that is no fun.
    6. i miss you and if you missed #3-you and Jeff NEED to come over for dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color of your nursery!! It looks fantastic, as does the crib and rocking horse. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise and I are proud of you both. The way you treat each other is admirable, and will go a long way in bonding you together when things get tough. We love you and can't wait for the new family member. - Dad Calton

    ReplyDelete