Sunday, September 14, 2014

Blessings These Days


Well, I realize it's been awhile since I've posted anything on this blog. I do have two semi-recent drafts that I just never published, that's a start, right?

There's a lot to catch up on. Part of me hasn't caught up in awhile because I haven't had time. I have been busy with doing things with the kids, just being a mom, a wife, my photography business, etc. Part of me hasn't caught up because it's overwhelming to think about. For example, Caleb turned 3 back at the end of June. I took his 3 year pictures, but haven't even had time to edit them yet except for a few of the kids together for Independence Day. (I am going to try and get them edited this week though).

And then a part of me hasn't updated because I wasn't really sure how to or when the right time would be. I have been incredibly blessed lately. Things are going pretty well for my little family these days and though I have been grateful and feeling blessed, I didn't want to say much for fear of what people might think. Also, with social media, I see so much more heartache around the world, in our country and even in the lives of my friends and family and I didn't want to feel like I was rubbing anything into anyone else's face. I really don't know how to articulate better than that really. I have just been feeling sad for, maybe empathetic is a better word, towards my friends and family and want to show my love and support. Please know that I am aware that heartache happens, and I've experienced my own heartache, but I also rejoice in the happiness of my friends and family and I am sure you guys, do too...Does that make sense at all?

So, as I've thought about and as I've been more and more grateful for my blessings, I realized that it is okay for me to share the good things that are happening in my  life. And my friends and family will be happy for those good things happening just as I am happy for the good things in their lives.

This is not to say that we haven't had struggles and trials, because of course we have, but the good just outweighs the bad these days.

So what is going on in my life these days?

Well, last June (as in June of 2013), Jeff and I decided that we wanted to move out of our small home (just over 1000 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom home).  We already had two children and knew that at some point in the future, we'd want to expand our family. We started our home search, not completely sure at first, but as we continued to look at homes, we started to get more and more excited about moving into something bigger and more suited to our family's needs. We were looking for a 4 bedroom home with 2 bathrooms. We started our search in the Midlothian and Chesterfield area. We (and I guess, really I) wanted to stay in our ward if at all possible and if not, we wanted to stay in our stake. As we searched for homes, we ran across several in HOAs and that was something we were not interested in. Sometime in August, we found a home that we both loved. It was an older home, built in the 70s. It was in an established neighborhood, but not in an HOA. It was also on a .5 acre lot and had a lovely backyard with a screened in gazebo (and the gazebo had a fan!). This home had 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a living room, a family room with a fireplace, a rec room, a florida room and a laundry room. It also had a walk-up attic. It had everything and more that we wanted in our new home. It also had a large 2 car- attached garage with storage space above. The home definitely had work that needed to be done, but the sellers had also done quite a bit of work and had already started renovating the home. We looked at more houses, and then came back and looked at it again. We did notice that there was some water damage and mold issues, so we before we put an offer in, we asked if we could bring contractors to come and check out the house and give an estimate for the work required. A contractor and a mold guy came the same afternoon. They looked at the damage and came up with a a plan and by week's end sent us the estimate, about $10,000 combined. We put in a full-amount offer but asked that the seller pay for the repairs. They accepted and we were set to close on Sept. 19th. Yay!! So then we did the inspection and we found more problems. Leaky roof, more mold, termites. We already knew that the seller was not willing or able  to help with anymore of the issues. So we withdrew our offer. I seriously mourned that house. It had a nice front porch, a large yard for the kids to play in, and so much character. I didn't think we'd be able to find another home we loved as much.

We kept looking and were met with disappointment after disappointment (for example another home, I really liked got an offer placed on it that same day). Finally, we broadened our search and Jeff started looking at land. We happened upon a strange L shaped lot in Aylett, Virginia. It's a little 3 acre lot and though strangely shaped, we decided we could build there. So, we're in the process of building our home. In fact, it's nearly done and hopefully, we can move in by the end of October (!), though we haven't been given an official date yet.

While in transition, we've been living with my in-laws (so since mid- September) and while it's been good and helpful, it will also be so nice to be in our own place and have our own space again. :) This home that we will be moving into, does not necessarily have everything that I want, but it's a great home and definitely bigger than our first home together. I am very grateful that we have been able to do this. That though there are some stressful moments, that it is finally coming to fruition and that we'll have a home more suited to our family's needs as we continue to grow.

Speaking of growing, we are also expecting baby number 3 sometime at the beginning of Feb!! The official due date is Feb. 4th, which also happens to be Adelaide's birthday. But, babies come when they are ready, so we'll see if this baby will actually come on the 4th. So far, one baby has come a week early and one 3 days late. We are thrilled to be expecting another new little one and can't wait to bring this baby into our home. :)




Speaking of home, I am planning on having a home birth. There is a wonderful midwife here who does home births. I am already so impressed with her. I tell you, I have truly been so blessed with the wonderful doctors/midwives I've had with each of my babies. Caleb was delivered by two of the best doctors. They were compassionate, understanding, nice and fun to be around. They made me feel strong and able. Adelaide was delivered by the most amazing midwife. She was awesome at our appointments and fell in love with Caleb right away. She was amazing and calming during the labor and delivery of Adelaide and she even came to see me again that evening (even though she had already been up all night long and all afternoon while I was in labor). And now my current midwife seems to be just as amazing. I am grateful for each of these wonderful women.

Speaking of babies again, we find out what we're having on Monday (as in tomorrow)!! We found out with Caleb, but not with Adelaide. I am excited to find out what we're having this time. With Adelaide, I just knew we were having a girl. This time, I have no idea. Sometimes, I think boy and other times I think girl, so who knows... well, we will on Monday! :)

So I guess the big things happening in our lives right now is the fact that we will be moving into a new house sometime in the next couple of months and that we will be expecting a new member of our family in early Feb. And we are all so thrilled!!

Anyway, so any guesses as to what we're having?

Today at 19ish weeks.

From the other side.
This was at 16 weeks.



Here's our new house. I'll be honest, another reason I didn't want to share is because I am kind of embarrassed by it. Anyway, if you're interested in seeing inside pictures, let me know! I took some, but thought that since this was already kind of long, I'd post more later if people were interested. :) 
 These are from back in early July:







These next couple are just from a couple of days ago. 







Well, I guess that's all for now!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Your house is beautiful! And you are beautiful! Congratulations on #3! I need to get your tips for going from 1 to 2. I'm due on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah! It is definitely an adjustment going from one to two for all involved. :) I have another friend due on Halloween, too! How fun! Are you going to dress up?

    ReplyDelete