Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dr. Appointment Joys and Frustration


Yesterday after work, I headed towards home for a dr. appointment. I was so excited to go to the doctor and to hear my baby's heart beat. I had been feeling anxious and just needed the reassurance that everything was okay. And, so far everything is okay. When I got there, I had to pee in a cup of course, and boy was I ever grateful. And then I had to stand on a scale. In all honesty, I really thought the scale was broken. I weighed more than I ever had before. I'm sure I should come to expect that at some point, but I seriously just weighed myself a couple of days ago and did not weigh that much. So, I told the nurse that I thought the scale was off. She assured me that it wasn't.

Afterwards, I met with the doctor. She checked my belly, told me my uturus was in the right place (I have no idea how she knows that from feeling my belly... I've been trying to figure it out) and we listened to the heart beat. It took a little time for her to find it, but she did- the baby was moving a bit, I suppose. It was such a relief to hear that precious dub- dub. She said it sounded great. Then, I told her I had a ton of questions to ask her. I asked her all of my questions and finally, she told me that she didn't think their practice would be a good fit for me. I felt so discouraged. What am I to do now. Partially, I feel like I should just give up... it's so much easier to just go through a traditional hospital birth, but partially, I want to fight my cause. I don't want to deliver my baby laying on my back, feet up in stirrups. Is that strange? And, I would like to have my OB, the person I'd been seeing throughout my pregnancy, deliver my baby, not one of 10 other physicians whom I've never met- is that so wrong? I want to have a natural birth (and yes, I understand that sometimes that isn't possible and I am preparing myself for that as well- but if I can, I really would like to go naturally). Anyway, it was so discouraging... and maybe because the doctor wasn't use to hearing those kinds of questions and maybe because she was stuffed up, she seemed pretty annoyed with me by the end. Gah! I hate leaving negative impressions of myself on people. Anyway, so now... I am just not sure what to do.

Anyway, this morning, I decided to weigh myself- the doctor's scale wasn't off. :/ I really did gain four/five pounds in like two days. And, when I got dressed this morning I had a really, really hard time finding anything to wear. It was a bit frustrating. Guess this just means I get to do some more shopping. :)

Okay, I am switching topics really quickly... so I feel like Heavenly Father has really blessed me throughout this pregnancy so far. For one, I have not had any morning sickness. I've only vomited once when Jeff burped (I couldn't -and still can't for that matter- stand the sound) and several times while brushing my teeth. I'm getting better at brushing without gagging though. I feel really blessed with being able to stomach most food... though there isn't much that I like to eat. I go through phases- last week it was Arby's Roast beef and cheddar sandwiches and Reece's puffs cereal. This week, I haven't had any desire at all for Arby's. One day I like one thing... and then the next, I can't stand it. I feel like if I eat it, it will make me vomit. It's so peculiar. I am so exhausted all of the time as well. They say that once you get into your second trimester, you usually get an energy boost. Well, I guess I am not one of those lucky people. I cannot even explain how tired I am- it's like nothing I've ever experienced and it certainly doesn't help that I am working full-time and taking four classes this semester. So those are my basic symptoms- though recently, I've started feeling some pelvic pain (I guess that's what it is).

I kind of feel like I am rambling here, but I also want to mention this: I have felt the baby move!! It's the most amazing feeling. I first felt it on Saturday, but seeing as how I've never felt a baby move inside of me before, I really wasn't sure. Then, I didn't really feel it on Sunday. On Monday, I was really stressed out and worried about my little one and while I was sitting in class, I could feel it move. I knew then, that it was definitely the baby and I was so grateful. And I've felt it a couple of times since. I can't wait until Jeff can feel it :) It is so amazing- literally awesome. And it fills me with such joy. There really is a living thing inside of me right now. I love it. I love this whole experience and can't believe that I get to do this. And, I can't wait to be a mom- though I still have a lot of preparation before this baby comes.

We get to find out what we're having on February 10th- so stay tuned!! :)


Man, I really need to work on my posture... for the next photo, I will...maybe... if I remember. haha... I was too tired to try to get a better self-portrait of myself. Anyway, this is tonight at 18 and a half weeks. :)

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to find out if you are having a boy or girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to pregnancy! It's oh so fun... sometimes.

    Have you ever thought of having a midwife? Not the kind that comes to your home, but one that works under a doctor. With both of my kids, I wanted the same exact things you did, so I found practices that had certified midwifes. All of my appointments but three were with them and then I had my ultrasound with my doctor. Of course I delivered c-section both times, but still. It was wonderful. They were so personable. If I had labored, it would have been a wonderful experience to have them there the whole time, unless I decided to use pain meds. Even now I go to a certified midwife for all of my woman check ups.

    Insurance accepts the midwife, because the billing goes under the supervising doctor. If ever there is something wrong, the doctor steps in, like in my case.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be discouraged! I'm sure you will find a practice that will support you in your wishes. I would check with the hospital you will deliver at. I've had three babies now, and from my experience the Dr. wasn't even there for most of my labor... it's the labor and delivery nurses who run the show until it's time to push! (I've delivered at 2 different hospitals too) I would find a midwife, and make a birth plan, just to make sure the nurses are well aware of how you would like your labor to go. (Did I mention how excited I am for you??) Don't stress out!! (and don't settle either!)Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay that the baby is doing good but boo for your bad experience and that you have so much to do as far as finding a Dr. fit for you. I am so sorry to hear that but I know that you will find what you are looking for, a midwife probably is the best way to go-which I know you had mentioned. Good luck sweetie and if you need to vent or just chat give me a call (night would be better so that I can actually talk to you without interruption :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fun to read, all your ups and your downs, you'll be so grateful some day that you took so many notes on how you felt etc.

    I've got a friend who is a Dula (Spelling) two actually, and if you'd be interested in talking with them... i can get you their numbers! they are ALL About natural birthing... and very skilled in what they do... one is LDS on is not, both are wonderful women!

    :) you are so cute, and you'll be an amazing mommy! My guess is that you are having a BOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna! Congratulations, if you're interested in some reading material, I highly recommend my friend Rachel's blog. This past week all her posts were about homebirth. http://rachelswandesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/home-birth-week-selas-birth.html
    Start with this post and go through today... I've been talking a lot with Mikaela about this stuff.
    lots of love - Brianne (Shiraki)Christiansen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna,
    Glad to hear you are doing well. I'm convinced that the so called energy burst in the second tri is for women who are having morning sickness like crazy in the first tri. I never got it and never had morning sickness either. This being your first pregnancy I know you are worried about a lot of things, just try to remember that women have been popping healthy babies out since the beginning. I personally chose to do the hospital and pain meds way but that's because I was a pansy :). Only you know what you can handle and how you want things to go. The beauty of it is that you can change your mind or not depending on how you feel. Good luck. Don't forget to enjoy this time, It is truly a wonderful thing.
    -Natalie (Jeff's cousin)

    ReplyDelete