Thursday, January 13, 2011

The story



So... I must tell the story of when I found out I was pregnant.

Well, I decided to take a pregnancy test one night, even though I knew it would be negative. How did know, you might ask? I dreamt that I took a pregnancy test and it was negative and had a feeling as I unwrapped the wrapper that I what I was doing was a waste. I did it anyway. A few nights later, I had another dream that I took a pregnancy test and it was positive... so later on, remembering that dream, I decided to go for it... having a feeling that it would be positive. I didn't tell Jeff that I was going to do it. It was kind of impromptu. We ate dinner and he started washing dishes. I decided to get ready for bed and headed to the bathroom and made the decision then. I did it... and then I had to wait... so I started to brush my teeth, the whole time staring at the blinking hourglass that tortured me. "Why is it taking so long?" I wondered. I then calmed myself by reminding myself that I should brush my teeth for 3 minutes anyway (the time that the blinking hourglass would blink before giving me an answer). That whole time I tried to brace myself for whatever the result would be... remember, I had a feeling that I would be pregnant, but still not too sure. It wasn't quite time for me to know yet. Well, finally the blinking stopped and "PREGNANT" was displayed on the screen. I nearly choked on the spit and toothpaste concoction in my mouth. I looked at the display in disbelief, holding it up to the light just in case, I was missing the "NOT" part. I wasn't. I started to hyperventilate (mildly of course, not the kind where I had to get a brown paper bag and take deep breaths into it to keep from passing out- though that's what I felt like doing- passing out). I rinsed out my mouth and my toothbrush, tried to calm myself and walked into the kitchen. I didn't say a word to Jeff who was still washing dishes. I grabbed my laptop and went into the bedroom where I immediately dropped to my knees and started praying and sobbing. My prayer went something like this... "Heavenly Father, what in the world were you thinking?" (I know, how dare I ask that question). "This is not a part of my plan, I mean, not right now, not so soon." (I know, I sound a little ridiculous... and this is where it occurred to me that well it was part of my plan). "I know we've been praying about this and trying to figure this out, I just thought it would take longer. What are we going to do? How is this going to work?" (About this time, my sobs quieted and my tears lessened. I began to feel calmer and a reassurance that it would be okay... somehow). I thanked Heavenly Father for my blessings, ended my prayer and dried my eyes... then I sat on the bed (and got onto the computer) as I waited for Jeff. Now here, I should remind you that I did not tell Jeff I was taking a pregnancy test. He had no idea that any of this was happening and that he was going to be a daddy. And, I didn't know if I could tell him... so I left the pregnancy test on the back of the toilet so that he'd find it. I was sure he would use the bathroom before bed. I hear Jeff come down the hall and head to the bathroom to brush his teeth. When he was done in the bathroom, he came into the room and I gave him this look like, "Well?" but to him it looked more like a "Uh oh, you caught me" face... or something along those lines. Because he looked at me and said, "What?" and at that time I realized that he didn't see the pregnancy test. I quickly said, "nothing". "Are you hiding something from me?" he asked. "Nope"... and that was pretty much it. We decided to watch a tv show in bed on the computer. As we were watching, I asked, "Did you go to the bathroom?"
"No," came his reply.
"Don't you normally go to the bathroom before bed?"
"Only if I have to," he answered, "I didn't have to."
"Oh".

A few minutes later...

"Jeff, can you get me a glass of water, please?"
Before he could respond... "Nevermind, I'm not really thirsty".

Pretending to sniffle a couple of minutes later, "Can you go get me a tissue"
Again, before he could respond, I pretended to wipe my nose on his shirt and said, "Nevermind, I don't need one anymore." He didn't really respond. I think he was thinking I was just a weird cat.

Finally, the show is over and I ask, "Jeff, do you normally use the bathroom in the morning after you wake up?"
"I don't know. It depends on if I need to. Why?"
"Just wondering."

Okay, so then we have prayer. He asks, as he usually does, "Is there anything we need to pray about?"
"Just peace and comfort"
"Peace and comfort? For what?"
"Just peace and comfort"

He prays and we go to sleep.

The next morning, we're laying in bed after we wake up. I snuggle up to Jeff.
"Jeff, maybe you should go to the bathroom before I take a shower"
"I don't need to."

We say our personal prayers. Then he says, "Man, you've jinxed me." and heads to the bathroom.

I sit on the bed, waiting for his return. What seemed like hours later, he comes running in like a kid at Christmas. He jumps up onto the bed and starts rubbing my still flat belly and says, "Hi baby, I'm your daddy!" He was super excited and I smiled.

So, there you have it. We're having a baby (which you've already gathered from the previous post) and we're thrilled. I must explain here that it wasn't that I wasn't thrilled to begin with, I was just so nervous and worried about how it would all work out. I mean, I am still in school and I have to finish (or else I fear I never will and I am so close). We only really tried for one month and well, it ended up being our lucky month. I just didn't think it could happen so quickly- so I wasn't quite prepared for that. But, I am grateful that I had a dream that my first pregnancy test was false and I knew it would be false, because when I dreamt that it was positive, I kind of had a feeling that it would be positive, which helped me sort of come to terms with it quicker. Ooh, "come to terms with it"? That's not exactly what I mean, I just don't know a better way to say what I mean. Anyway, it didn't take me long to be just as thrilled as Jeff was when he first found out. I will admit that I did take two more pregnancy tests a couple of days from each other... just to be sure. But when I knew that it was real, I couldn't believe it and this time it was happy awe. I am so, so happy that I get to be a mom. I can't even believe it sometimes. I am going to be a mom. And really this is all I've ever wanted (well and to be married, of course).

P.S. I found out on October 19th that we would be welcoming a little one into our family. Jeff found out on October 20th.

We told our parents on Nov. 19th at Olive Garden.

We told the rest of our family members on Thanksgiving (at our bajillion dinners- I love Thanksgiving!).

I had my first doctor appointment on Dec. 21st. I thought I was 12 weeks and a couple of days. They let me know that I was 13 weeks and 1 day. It as one of the most amazing experiences I'd ever had- hearing the heartbeat and seeing the baby move around. So amazing!

I told my job just last week.

Today, I am 16 weeks and 3 days pregnant.

I am due on June 27th.

From my appointment at 13 weeks.


From my appointment at 13 weeks.


From Today... I look a lot bigger sitting down. Really, if you're just looking at me, you wouldn't be able to tell I was pregnant. Today, someone at work told me that I just look like I ate too much candy this week (ironically enough because- though I haven't mentioned it here, I am not eating sugar or anything like unto it- at all- this week)

5 comments:

  1. hurray! So happy! I love that we are just a few days apart, you are about a week ahead of me, but that doesn't really mean anything, you really have more like a "due month" rather than a "due date" but ya know. I love the pictures! The first ultrasound looks like Strongbad... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great story. I was really anxious too when I found out I was pregnant for Owen. Like you said it goes away and sheer joy comes in return. I will say though, with every pregnancy I've had Jason give me a blessing at the beginning to help me with my Mommy paranoia. It seems to come with the territory I guess. That way I didn't worry so much. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ultrasound pictures! It makes it seem more real!! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great story--I love Jeff's reaction! Thanks for posting the pics. We are so excited for you guys, and if you need anything, you know who to ring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So FUN!!! Congrats! That's such a terrific story to tell your kids one day! You guys will be the best parents! I'm so excited to hear more updates!

    ReplyDelete