Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sick Boy

My poor little guy was sick all last week. On Monday, we had planned to go swimming at my mom's house. Caleb took a nap that morning around 9 and then again around 12 so we got a late start to the day. He hardly ever takes morning naps and rarely two and though I thought it was a little odd, I thought maybe he just needed the sleep because he was going through a growth spurt or something. Well then he fell asleep on the 20 minute drive to my mom's. Then we headed to drop my car off at the shop and he was incredibly fussy. We then headed to the store, again, he was very fussy, but then he fell asleep on our way back to my mom's house. I let him sleep in the car (the door open and me sitting beside him) until he woke up. Once he woke up, he was in a much better mood, though you could tell that he was still tired. I began to wonder if he was getting sick. I picked him up and he immediately lay his head down against my body. That's pretty much how he remained the entire time we were at my mom's. Jeff came and met us there after work and picked up our car. He also held Caleb and the poor boy did the same thing, just lay there.

While I was holding him, he was playing with my face and I realized that his hands were burning. So I felt his forehead and it was quite obvious that the poor boy had a fever. I headed to the store to get him some fever reducer. A little after I gave it to him, he perked up some and started babbling, so that was good- but he still felt warm.

Once we left, he fell asleep in the car and slept all the way home and remained sleeping when we took him out and put him in his crib. He slept until 5:00 the next morning. I took his temp that morning when he woke up and it was 102.6. I gave him more medicine and called the doctor. I got an appointment for that morning. By the time we got to the doctor, his temp had dropped to 99.7, which was good. The doctor said that his nose, throat, ears, eyes all looked good. She listened to his lungs and said that they sounded clear. So she decided to draw blood to do a blood count. That, too, came back normal. So, she said that we'd just wait it out. Then she heard him cough and decided that perhaps it was more a bacterial infection and prescribed him a broad spectrum antibiotic. I asked if we could wait to give it to him and see how he does in a couple of days. She felt comfortable with that plan.

Well, later that day, his temp was back up to 102.6. He also slept terrible that night. Wednesday morning his temp was up to 103.2. We decided to go ahead and fill the antibiotic that night so that we could start it the next day. Well, his temp finally went down that night and didn't return in the morning, however his cough sounded much worse. So, we started him on the antibiotic. Since he finally didn't have a fever (Thursday morning), we decided to meet my grandmother and her brother at the firehouse they "grew up" in. My grandmother wanted some pictures. Then we ran around the rest of the day running errands.

Later that afternoon, I noticed that Caleb had a rash all over his tummy and back and face and head so I called the doctor and they felt that he should be seen. This doctor said that the rash looked more viral. He said that often times a child will have a fever for a couple of days and then once the fever goes a way, a rash will develop and stay for a couple of days. He suggested that we give him Benadryl to make sure it's not an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (if it was an allergic reaction, the rash would go away with the Benadryl) and to stop the antibiotic. So we did that. The rash remained for a couple of days.

Now my baby boy has a lingering cough, but he's much better. Finally.


Oh yeah, and when we went to the doctor on Tuesday- he weighed 23 lbs and 2 oz. On Thursday, they weighed him with all of his clothes on and he weighed 23lbs 11 oz.

And, he slept from about 8 until about 6:30- except  for the little while that we heard him playing in his crib (in the dark) at 2:30 this morning. And then he nursed ands slept again until 8 and woke up for the day in the best mood ever. I love that I get to see his cute face every morning.

I realize this was a long post...

Here are some pictures from the week.


We did A LOT of resting last week.



Funny story... I was trying to make him laugh. It didn't quite work, as you'll see in the next picture. f




So grateful for these moments.







No comments:

Post a Comment