Sunday, April 7, 2013

Conference Weekend

Two times a year (every six months- once in April and once in October) a General Conference is held where the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints speak in Utah and it's broadcast throughout the world. This is one of my favorite weekends all year. I look forward to General Conference each year and each conference I am reminded that Heavenly Father truly knows and loves each of His children. I also always want to be better. If you're interested in what it's all about- you can check it out here.

That being said, this conference was a bit more challenging in the years past. It was the first conference that we watched each session from home, rather than going to the church and it's the first conference with two children. So we did our best, but I definitely didn't get the opportunity to drink from its goodness as I am usually able. That's okay, though, because what I did get to see/hear (between noisy kids, crying toddlers, feeding babies, etc.) was really, really good. And, thanks to technology, I can watch the sessions/talks at my leisure and they will be available in print soon, too. So I look forward to that.

This was an awesome and busy weekend. We had to get the oil changed and the inspection done on the van, so Saturday morning, we did that. I know, why did we all go? Well, because we don't get to spend too much time as a family because of Jeff's work schedule, so I figured we'd at least get to spend time together while we waited for our car to be serviced. Jeff brought his ipad and Caleb slept nearly the entire time- so we played games on his Ipad until it was time for Conference to start and then we started watching conference on his ipad. Yay for free wi-fi.

Then we had to go grocery shopping since we had no groceries. So we did some grocery shopping- pretty uneventful. Afterwards, Adelaide needed to eat and we all needed some lunch. We fixed up a quick lunch, I fed Adelaide.

I also made some homemade bagels. Half were plain and half were cinnamon. I am in LOVE with cinnamon and loved that my house smelled of it. Delicious.

We enjoyed the second half of conference- kind of. It was actually really hard because Caleb was super active and Adelaide was a bit cranky. But, we did our best.

We have a tradition to go get ice cream in between sessions and this year was no different. Right after the second session, we headed to Coldstone Creamery to get ice cream. So good! :)

Then we came home, Jeff took Caleb on a wagon ride, we got him ready for bed and then Jeff headed to the Priesthood session.

Today, we got to sleep in a bit (okay Adelaide and I did, Jeff was up early). Jeff made pancakes and turkey bacon fro breakfast.  Unfortunately, Caleb was up about every two hours last night. I would hold him for a bit and then go put him back in his bed, then a couple hours later, he'd get up again and we'd start all over. Needless to say, he was pretty tired and cranky today. But, he did fall asleep soon after the first session started.

In between sessions this time, I made chocolate chip cookies and Jeff and Caleb took a walk around our neighborhood. When the second session started, we sat down with our cookies and milk. Caleb loves the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, so every time they sang, he stopped what he was doing to watch. When Elder Holland spoke, he stood in front of the computer and started repeating what Elder Holland was saying ( such a good talk, by the way!).

After conference Caleb and Jeff went outside and blew bubbles while I prepared dinner. Adelaide and I sat outside with them for a few minutes. It was such a lovely way to end such a lovely weekend! :)










All ready for conference today. :)

She fell asleep right after it started. 


Adelaide was sooo smiley and Caleb wanted to hold her. 

I love this picture of Adelaide and Jeff talking to each other. 

This picture cracks me up. :)

homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk!




Watching Conference- he even recognized when the speaker said, "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" and kept asking for the choir after that. 

Adelaide sat on my lap much of the second session. 

Caleb's wonder color book and markers.



Enjoying some outside time. She sat here in her seat so that Jeff could blow bubbles and I could make dinner. :) 


Add caption

"Ooooh!"


I love that you can see where the bubble popped on his head. 




Yeah, life is good! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am unbelievably impressed at how much you can pack into one weekend with two little ones. Wow! I remember when the kiddos and conference collided a few years back. Jason and I would watch one session while kiddos napped, and then we'd save the next one for when they went to bed, and that was how it went. After a lot of work on my part to plan activities for the kiddos, it's gone better, but still it's a struggle. Toddlers are so hard though. I couldn't think of anything to do with Lily to keep her occupied. So glad you enjoyed your weekend! Ice cream, cookies, bagels... it all sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Caleb across his chair :) and your photography is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete