Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wee One Laughing

My poor fella has been suffering with acid reflux. It is so sad t watch him be so uncomfortable. He doesn't cry too much, which I am grateful for. I mean, he does cry sometimes and he does let out cries sometimes, but he is usually easily consoled. A true blessing. He does however grunt and moan often. He also sounds like a dolphin sometimes as he struggles. He doesn't spit up very often, but rather it comes up and he swallows it back down. He has a hard time sleeping and at night, it's really challenging because I don't sleep either. Sometimes he sounds like he is choking and he ends up coughing... even if he is upright. Oh it's so sad to watch and listen to. Poor guy. We went to the pediatrician yesterday morning and she said she thinks it's silent reflux. We're trying Zantac right now (which I think she gave him kind of a high dose). The first time I gave it to him, we waited 15 minutes before he ate, which was hard because he hadn't eaten in awhile and was really hungry... but after he ate, he spit up and spit up and spit up. He spits up sometimes, but never as much as he did then. He even spit up an hour later. And he let out a couple of cries in pain as well. So, instead of seeming to help, it seemed to make things worse. Last night, when I gave him his second dose, he didn't spit up after eating (we waited thirty minutes to eat). Maybe it just takes a little while for his body to get used to. Currently, we are sitting in the living room. He's in his swing. He's not even 5:30 am. I brought him in here after nursing him at 3:30 to see if the swing would help settle his stomach. It didn't really seem to help, but at least he is upright, I guess. Then, about 30 minutes later, he was able to sleep really soundly for about 30 minutes. Now, the reflux has been bothering him again for at least 30 minutes. I was going to try to get some sleep- but how can I do that when he starts groaning and grunting and writhing (still sleeping, mind you- at least his eyes are closed) and then swallowing, sounding like a mix between a chipmunk and a dolphin, and then coughing and grunting and moaning some more. Hopefully, it'll stop soon and we'll be able to get some sleep again before we must start our day.

Anyway, so on Monday, I took a couple of videos to show the doctor when we went in yesterday. I wanted her to see what he was doing- whether he's awake or asleep. In one of the videos he started laughing and it is just the cutest thing ever. I look forward to when I can get him to laugh, but for now I'll take what I can get. I hope the video works!! :) Enjoy the clip! :)




1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! TOO CUTE!! Hope you can find something to help him... My sister started drinking lactaid instead of milk, and it helped a lot. But I'm no doctor! I just know the reflux medicine didn't help her baby either.

    ReplyDelete