Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Just a Little Update...

Today, we went to the doctor. I showed the doctor the videos that of Caleb eating. The doctor watched the short one 3 or four times. He said he wasn't sure what it was but agreed that it was unusual. I asked if it could be related to food allergies and mentioned that Caleb had tried several new foods recently. He said that it could be that he is refluxing during those times. I had mentioned that Caleb does still have reflux and that he has had 3 major episodes since his 9 month check-up. During these episodes, Caleb sounds and looks like he is struggling to breath and then finally, it comes out of his mouth and nose and ends in tears for my sweet boy. It's a traumatizing experience for both of us, truly. The doc thought maybe it could be that during those times that he's done these weird head movements, he's having reflux problems and so he put Caleb back on Zantac. I hate the thought of having Caleb on medication. But he said to try it out for a couple of weeks and see if it helps him at all. In the meantime, though I am also to set up an appointment with a pediatric neurologist just to check it out- just to be sure... so this way, we'll rule two things out (or figure out that it is one of those things). He is not concerned at all because Caleb is developing as he should, but he wants to play it safe, I guess.

He also examined him physically to make sure that it was nothing more- besides listening to his chest and checking his ears and eyes, he checked his teeth and tonsils to make sure that his tonsils weren't enlarged (which he thought might contribute to difficulty swallowing).

So that's that. I'll make an appointment with the neurologist and hopefully, we'll be able to get in soon. Oh yes, and then sometime after Caleb turns 1 is when we will do an allergy test, though he feels that that is kind of early. It would be nice to know if we should be eliminating anything from Caleb's diet. I asked him about dairy- because up to this point, Caleb has not had any and he thinks we should wait until we have more answers before giving him dairy. So... I will have to research some yummy dairy-free cake recipes for his birthday.

On a different note, Caleb is just a wonderful boy. He is such a delight. He will be 11 months old on Friday and I just can't believe it. More on that later though...

Thanks to everyone who commented and made suggestions/expressed their concerns or commented otherwise. I appreciate it. :)

Oh yes!! I must mention his sleeping- it's still irregular and some nights are better than others- but last night, he slept from 8pm to 6:30am. He did wake up briefly twice (that I know of), but didn't even cry. Yay!! Maybe we'll have another night like that tonight. (That's the longest that he's slept since he was like 3 days old).
My happy teething boy. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are headed in the right direction. I have LOTS of yummy cake recipes that are dairy free if you want them! I agree with the doctor that it's really soon to have allergy testing done. However, at this young age, skin pricking tests usually are more reliable than the blood tests. Ha. Ha. We're actually going through a similar scenario with one of our foster kids right now. Oh the joys of allergies! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete