Thursday, November 29, 2012

17 months!


Another long post about the wee one....

Caleb turned 17 months old Sunday. Seriously, it amazes me that he is so big and has grown so much. He just continues to learn more and more and soaks up a ton. It is really neat to watch him learn something new- and he gets so proud of himself, too.

Per my measurements, Caleb weighs 25 lbs. and is 31 inches tall.

His sleeping hasn't really improved much, but we are working on it still. Some nights are definitely better than others. We put up his big boy bed and he will sleep in there for part of the night sometimes- then if when he wakes up, he can just come find me on his own. That part is nice and not-so-nice. He has become very clingy lately- I mean, he was kind of clingy anyway and he's definitely a mama's boy, but he was exceptionally clingy last week. Flattering.

He has become quite the daredevil and is experimenting more and more with climbing. He tries to climb on everything. He hasn't figured out yet, how to climb furniture, but boxes or toys or anything that he can get his little legs up, he climbs.

He has also started learning more and more about autonomy, meaning he's becoming quite a defiant little bugger. My good, sweet little listener, well, doesn't always listen to me anymore. He likes to see just how far he can go. He has also started hitting, more like swatting, and saying "uh!" when he gets frustrated. He has been becoming very easily frustrated lately (which also means that he gets fussy)- so usually if it's because something is stuck or it's something that he can help himself with, then I will encourage him, but not complete the task for him.

He is still very sweet and is affectionate. He loves to give mommy and daddy hugs and kisses and loves to be cuddled.

He is the funniest and funnest little 17 month old. He cracks me up all of the time and he is so smart! He knows when he's being cute or clever.

Now for some pictures of this awesome kid from the last month:


Playing in the leaves with daddy!
















I love this goober. :)

And I'm sure he'll love me for posting these pictures.



He had just built this huge tower all by himself and I went to take a picture and he knocked all of the blocks down. 


Trying out his new "big boy" bed.

He eats pretty well with a fork all by himself. :)

But sometimes he just has to use his hands. :)



There were a couple other pictures that I wanted to post, but I still haven't put them on my computer... I'll get around to it one day. :)

Anyway, this month Caleb:

*Has learned to say "I love you"- he says, "I you".
*Runs all over the place! He has two speeds: fast and faster.
*He has recently started trying to mimic more of what we say, which is awesome! It doesn't always sound the way it should and he has a hard time making a lot of the sounds, but he really does try.
*I've been bribing him with M&Ms to get him to work on saying the "mmm" sound- something that is apparently difficult for him. Let me tell you- the kid LOVES M&Ms- don't worry, I don't give him too many. :)
* He tries to count- sometimes it sounds like he says, "one, two" as he is pointing to things. He will also give him his hand and make a pointer and point to objects as if he wants me to count them for him. 
* He recently learned how to say "thank you"- mostly just the tone of voice.
* He is starting to climb more things now- anything that he can get his legs up- so his drum, wipes container, books, anything he can climb.
* He loves to snuggle with his mommy and for me to sing songs with him.
* He dances anytime there is music- even at church.
*Sometimes we can distract him by asking him to "conduct" and he'll wave his arm(s) around.
* He loves to put whatever will fit into the water jug that we collect coins in. We've also found coat hangers sticking out and shoes stacked on top.
* He loves to stack things... anything that he can stack. 
*He's sneaky and likes to hide from Mommy. Not so fun when we're, say, at the mall. He ran away from me in the children's section of a clothing store. I called out for him, he didn't respond so I start looking for him frantically. I find him on the floor-on his hands and knees watching me with a huge grin on his face. He then gets up and runs and hides again by some strollers, laughing the entire time. He thinks he's funny. 
* He is so helpful. But only when he wants to be. If he's made a mess, he will only clean it up if I sing the "clean up" song (I think it's from Barney). It works every time. 
* He absolutely adores his daddy and loves to watch for him when he comes home. And if he hears the door unlock. He'll whisper, "Who's that?".
* Has yet to say "mommy" or "mama", but will say "daddy" spontaneously and on command. Last week sometime I said, "Where's daddy?" and so he said it, too. "Where's daddy? Where's daddy?" But when Jeff asked him to say, "mommy". He completely ignored him. Maybe by Christmas he'll say it. That would be an awesome Christmas gift. :)
* Had an awesome allergic reaction to Kiwi- we think. He got a blister on his lip, complained about his mouth, his chin turned red and he got hives on his tummy and back. Not positive it was kiwi, but I'm now keeping Benadryl in his diaper bag, just in case it wasn't the kiwi and he has a reaction while we're out somewhere.
*He's got some new teeth. He just grew one molar (back, bottom, left) and is in the process of growing 3 more and another bottom front tooth- so maybe that's why he's grouchy sometimes. Poor fella. 
* He is constantly saying, "what's that?" or "What is that?" and loves to point to babies and ask that. 
*He loves to pet soft things, blankets, slippers, animals (that's definitely from his mama). 


He continues to be an awesome, awesome kid. Seriously, he is so smart (he gets it from his mama ;) ) and quick-witted (he must get that from his daddy). He is so fun and he cracks me up all of the time (like when he thinks he can hide by turning his head or putting his head down and staying perfectly still or when he rolls his eyes- yes, he already rolls his eyes. Seriously?). He knows when he is being cute and he seeks approval from mom or dad whenever he does something that he thinks is awesome (he gives this awesome half scrunchy-faced smile). He loves bathtime, outside time and he loves shopping-at almost any store. He is a happy little boy most of the time and such a delight to be around. I love it when he's been crying in his crib (I don't love that part) and I go to get him and he gives me kisses. Though we do have days that are hard, they are just so many positive things in our days that they overshadow those hard times. I really do feel so blessed to have him in my life and am so grateful that Jeff and I get to bring another little baby into our family in just a couple of months. 



No comments:

Post a Comment