Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First Day Out

Yesterday, I decided that we would all venture out into the world. I had left my cell phone charger at the hospital and though we tried, there was not another charger like it to be found- apparently my phone is too old. However nice it was not to have a phone, it was getting to the point where I needed to make phone calls and had no way to do so. My sister came to visit the other day and I used her phone to call the hospital to see if it was still there and it was!

So that brings us back to yesterday. Since it was such a beautiful day, I figured it would be the perfect day to venture out. I had hoped to get a fairly early start, however, it takes a lot longer getting two kids ready and out the door. Add into the mix, naps, meals, impromptu dance parties, last-minute diaper changes, showers, cleaning up messes a certain toddler made while I showered and well, we didn't make it out of the house until after 2.

When we did leave- it was definitely an adventure. It actually started as I was leaving my driveway. I hit my mailbox. I didn't just hit it, I knocked it down and it left a nice brown line all across the side of my white van. I pulled back into my driveway, checked the damages and then proceeded to cry. Mostly because I was already exhausted just from trying to get ready and out of the door and because I didn't even have a way to call and tell Jeff about it right away.

We headed to the hospital and when we got there, I first went to pick up my charger and then I headed to see if any of the midwives were available in the office.  Turns out they weren't. I was kind of bummed because I wanted to introduce them to Adelaide and I was hoping to see my midwife, but she was off delivering another baby. As we were heading back to the car, some guy commented on how I had a little one and was pregnant again. He was referring to Caleb, who was pushing the stroller. I told him that I had just had a baby 8 days ago. Unfortunately, I am not one of those lucky women whose tummy's regain their shape soon after delivery. We headed back to the car where I nursed Adelaide and gave Caleb a little snack.

After both babies had eaten and were happy, we headed to Kroger. I don't know why, but I parked towards the end of the parking lot. On nice days, I usually tend to do that anyway, it's nice as an extra excuse to be outside for a little extra time. Anyway, I carried Adelaide in her seat and Caleb in my arms to a cart. I put Adelaide down into the basket and Caleb sat up front. I started my grocery shopping. I only had a few things that I needed/wanted to get. I wasn't intending on doing  a full shopping trip. So we gathered my few things only to realize that I had left the money in the car. Ha! So, I left the cart near the cash register, rearranged the goods so that I could get Adelaide out of the cart and picked up Caleb and we headed to get a different cart so that I wouldn't have to carry them all the way to the car and back. I grabbed the money and we headed back in to pay for the goods.

On the way back to the car, I realized that I had forgotten one of the most essential items that I needed, so instead of getting it from Kroger, I decided to head to Target. I love Target. Anyway, nothing too eventful happened at Target, except that I ended up getting a few more items than I had originally planned (who doesn't when they go into Target?) and Caleb decided to "drop" a few items for me to pick up when I wasn't looking.

We were all pretty exhausted (and I was in a bit of pain) by the end of our trip out. Adelaide pretty much slept the entire time we were out, except for when I nursed her. Caleb was asleep before we got home (about a five minute drive). And I could hardly keep my eyes open by 8 and was asleep before 9.

Today, I think we'll stay in.

P.S. I'm glad that life is such a grand adventure. I'm also glad that we can find humor in life's adventures. And, I am grateful that I have these two awesome kiddos and a wonderful husband to share in and add to my adventures. :)




She was crying and Caleb tried cheering her up.

"Oh Caleb, stop it!" :)


No comments:

Post a Comment