Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day

Yesterday didn't quite go as planned. But, it did go. For some reason, Adelaide has been pretty fussy the last couple of days. She screams each time she needs to have a bm. Poor girl. So, I massage her belly and do leg pumps to help, and it does, but it's still an agonizing experience for her nearly every time. Yesterday she wanted to nurse every 1-1 1/2 hours and so she required a lot of attention, which was hard on Caleb. At one point Caleb was eating his lunch while Adelaide needed a diaper change. As I was changing her (and massaging her belly and pumping her legs), Caleb finished his lunch and wanted to get down. I couldn't get to him right away. Adelaide was crying, so Caleb pretends to cry (which is quite humorous). I still couldn't get to him, so he threw his plate and what was left on it, on the floor. Awesome.

Caleb aslo bit Adelaide in the head yesterday, while she was sleeping, while he was pretending to give her a kiss. Another one for Caleb. This ended in both kids crying.

We tried taking Valentine's day pictures as part of a gift for Jeff. I had to bribe Caleb with chocolate and the promise of a balloon. Which worked for the most part, but you know, he's a 19 month old. His attention span is limited (but his memory is not). He'd get restless, push Adelaide away from him, cry because he wanted to play with something that I wouldn't let him play with. Adelaide cried unless I was holding and bouncing her or she had a pacifier. So getting pictures was extremely difficult. But we did manage to get a couple of cute ones. :)

Anyway, the day continued with a crying toddler and a crying baby and it was just plain hard. Since I promised Caleb a balloon and his memory is soooo good, he kept saying, "Mama bdoon". We had to venture out, which I thought might be good for him anyway. So, I attempted to take a shower, but Adelaide screamed. I nursed her, changed her and put her in her seat in the bathroom with me. She did well in there. (P.S. I had tried earlier to take a shower, but Caleb only took a 20 minute nap and it just didn't work out).  After the shower, I got ready (both Littles were already dressed and ready) and we headed to Wal-mart (my least favorite store- especially on holidays). I first let Caleb pick out his "bdoon". Then we headed to pick up a few other miscellaneous items, including the prints that I ordered for Jeff of the Valentine's pictures we took. Caleb nearly let out half of the helium in his balloon before we managed to get it home. He loved it!! Every time we go into a store with balloons, he always gets so excited. This was such a treat for him to have his very own!

We came home and I nursed Adelaide while preparing dinner for Caleb. Talk about talent. :) I finished nursing Adelaide and Caleb ate dinner and we waited for Jeff to get home. Jeff didn't get home until about 7pm. But he didn't come empty handed either. He brought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers and ice cream. He sure knows the way to my heart. :) Earlier in the week, he also got me a cute/funny Valentine's card and some dark chocolate as a pre-valentine. I know, I'm lucky.

Though it was late, I had wanted to make sugar cookies with Caleb, so we made them anyway. He had a blast!!! He had so much fun pouring and mixing, rolling and cutting out heart shapes. He got so incredibly messy with flour everywhere. And he waited patiently for the cookies to cook and be cool enough for him to eat one.

Anyway, so overall, yesterday was rough. It was one of those "I just want to throw in the towel" days. But there were lots of good parts. Caleb dancing and making me laugh. The sweet kisses he does give Adelaide. Adelaide's adorable smiles in her sleep. Making sugar cookies with the little man. Flowers and ice cream from my big Valentine. Yep, life in these parts is pretty good. :)

These two! (sorry for the darkness of the pictures- I didn't feel like editing.)



Working on Daddy's Valentine's day card.


Trying out the hearts on himself... he thought it was pretty cool. 
I love the hearts on his belly.

So proud of his work!
Inside the card, I had Caleb put his handprint and Adelaide sign with her foot print. :) 


Aahh! I love this girl. 

He just melts my heart. 



My sweet babies. 

This was his reaction when I asked, "Caleb, do you want a balloon?" 





Yes, this is what a lot of the day felt like. 







Adelaide slept peacefully while we worked on the cookies. 


Even Adelaide got to help cut out a little heart-shaped cookie. 

Hard at work.
I didn't get a picture of the cookies... but we also put little red sprinkles on them. And I kind of left them in the oven just a bit too long. Oops! But they still tasted good! :)


Oh and I forgot! One of the best parts of the day was this: I was trying to teach Caleb how to say Happy Valentine's Day earlier in the day, so randomly all day, he kept saying "Happy! Happy!" Soooo cute!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures! Hang in there girlie! The transition from one to two is the hardest I have ever experienced. It does get better with time, but it's rough. You're doing a fabulous job and way more than I ever attempted. Hope Adelaide's belly feels better. You're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite pic is the one of them both crying...brings back SOOO many memories that now I can laugh at, but were really not funny at the time. Hope your next few days have been better--hang in there, it gets easier as they get bigger, I promise! You are also correct though, that along with all that craziness, some of the most precious and tender moments happen that you will remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all! I should do photo ops with my kids more often...But I'm terribly lazy. ;) And I love the pics of C "stamping" himself with hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete