Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I know, I just posted yesterday- two days in a row has got to be a record for me.

I just wanted to write a little about how I am doing. The first week and a half of recovery were, well, what I expected them to be. I had just had a baby and didn't expect recovery to go super quick. I never had uterine contractions with Caleb, but boy did I have them this time. Those things are painful. It was hard at first because Caleb would want me to pick him up and it hurt to do so, mostly my pelvic area. My breasts were tender and sore and had a burning sensation. I was tired a lot, because just like after Caleb was born, I never slept while he did (except for at night, of course). I haven't been able to bring myself to sleep while both of these babies are sleeping. It just makes me nervous.

Saturday, though, was awesome. I had started feeling better before Saturday, but on Saturday, I felt fabulous! And I mean, fabulous. I woke up in a great mood (not that I usually wake up in a poor mood), I felt well-rested, my body didn't ache. I just felt great! And so I took full advantage. I got up, showered, made breakfast, fed the littles, did some laundry and cleaning all before 9am. We all got ready for the day and went to Jeff's basketball game early that afternoon. Then Caleb and Jeff headed to the circus and, well, then I got lazy (and tired) and watched Steel Magnolias. Such a good movie!

Sunday I also felt great. This recovery has been so different from Caleb's. I am already smaller (but still have a LONG way to go) now than I was at least 5 weeks after having Caleb. I feel more emotionally stable this time (though there have definitely been times where I've let my emotions get the best of me- or I just cry easily). I just feel like in some ways, things are getting more and more back to normal quicker than they did after having Caleb.

Last night, I thought since my pelvic/pubic pain is getting better, maybe I'll try sleeping in my bed. I did and Adelaide slept in the bed, too (I know, I know, this is such a controversial thing). Jeff ended up not sleeping well at all and left the bed in the middle of the night because he was too afraid to move, thus not allowing him to really fall asleep. I, on the otherhand, had the best night's sleep that I've had since I've had Adelaide. I slept so well! And, so did Adelaide! :) However, when I woke up for the morning, I was in a lot of pain... is it worth it? I don't know. I ended up suffering the consequences throughout today. So, I'll probably go back to sleeping in the recliner again, at least for a little while longer so that my body can have more time to heal.

I also can't wait until I can really exercise... so hopefully my body will heal enough for me to do some real exercising soon. I've never been a real exerciser, but I do want to lose my baby weight in time for my sister's wedding (in August) and I want to be healthier.

Also, I've been thinking about my birth story  lately- mostly because I have talked to several people about it recently and I'm grateful that I wrote it down when I did, because amnesia has already started to settle in. I remember being in pain, of course, but I don't remember the pain. I even feel silly talking about how hard it was now. So, though I am grateful that I can't remember the pain, I am equally grateful that I wrote down my experience while it was still fresh.

Finally, the transition from one to two children- It's been challenging and neat at the same time. Sometimes, it still blows my mind that I have two children. I really feel blessed with these babies. Before I had Adelaide, I was so worried that I wouldn't love another baby as  much as I love Caleb. I mean, how could I? Caleb was my world. I spent all day with him (and usually half the night). I quit my job so that I could be home with him. He made me a mother. He's wonderful and perfect for our family. Jeff and I talked about this some. However, when Adelaide was born and they placed her on my chest, my goodness, the love just flowed! How is it even possible? I don't quite know, but  I know it's real. It is amazing to me that I can love these two both with so much... because I didn't even know that I had anymore love to give. But, I guess it's a never ending supply. Adelaide is so incredibly precious to me. She's a perfect little baby, sweet cheeks, round face, almond-shaped eyes, skinny legs, long fingers and toes-all. She is wonderful and I can't imagine life without her, just like I can't imagine life without Caleb. So back to transitioning from one to two... it is hard because I sometimes feel guilty that Caleb has less attention at times and sometimes I feel guilty that Adelaide doesn't get all of the attention that Caleb got for 19 months of his life. But, I try to make sure that I give them both one-on-one time and we will also do things together. And I love it when Caleb is sweet to her and he's trying to figure out how to "play" with her. I have noticed, that sometimes my patience wears thinner with Caleb. And that's something I'm trying to work on. We all have to learn to be patient with each other with our new addition. Caleb has to be patient when I can't meet his needs right at the moment that he wants me to and I have to be patient and remember that this is big for him, too and that he's still a baby himself, practically.

Okay, I know I already said "Finally", but I have two last thoughts. I have to learn to have more patience with myself as well. Each new baby is a new learning experience I am realizing. And I have a lot to learn. :) Second, I need to make sure that I am finding time to take care of myself. Sometimes I stay up way too late- sometimes with the thought that Adelaide will be waking up soon and I'll just stay up until she awakens, then I'll feed her and then go to sleep. Yeah, I just need to start going to sleep and I'll wake up when she does. I also need to make sure that I am eating healthier foods. Sometimes I skip meals because it's just too much effort to make something to eat or to even eat. And sometimes I just eat whatever junk we have around.  I do feed Caleb, of course, but that's sometimes as far as I get. I just need to get healthier snacks. :)

Anyway, overall, life is good. I really am feeling happy and blessed.

1 comment:

  1. I know about that uterine contractions post-labor/delivery. I was told that they don't happen, usually, with the first baby, but after that they can be very painful. I try to be a medicine free as I can, but I needed that Motrin every 4 hours that they brought it to me, along with a heating pack that they made for me in the hospital. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete