Friday, October 26, 2012

16 Months!

Disclaimer- this is a long post and there are tons of pictures, I know- but I just don't want to forget any of this stuff. 



Caleb turned 16 months old yesterday. Seriously, and I know I say this all of the time, but I just can't believe he is getting so big. It seems he learns something new everyday. I know I say this a lot, too, but he is at such a fun age- maybe every age is just a fun age (I should remember that on my own birthdays).

Let's see... Caleb weighs about 24 and a half pounds. I didn't measure his height though- but my guess is that he hasn't grown much since his 15 month check-up a month ago. He is still wearing mostly sized 12 month clothes, some 12-18 months and a few 18 month things (but they are too big).

This month has probably been one of the hardest for us (well, at least for me- he doesn't seem too affected). He's had a really hard time sleeping and there have been several nights where he is up for hours at a time. The night before last though, he went to bed easily and slept until 3:30. If I could just make that happen every night, that would be good. Last night, it took him an hour to fall asleep (Jeff went in like every 15 minutes) and he woke up around 12:30. I just put him in bed with me (which is what I've just started doing) so that I could get some sleep. Each morning, he's up by 6 usually. Hopefully, with the new month coming soon, we'll get back on track and he'll start sleeping better.

I'm hoping by the end of November, we'll have the new nursery ready so that he can move in and adjust to being in a new sleeping environment before our new baby arrives. We'll see.

Though, this month has been somewhat difficult, due to lack of sleep, it has definitely had it's ups. Caleb is just such a pleasure most of the time on most days. He is so funny and just such a fun little boy to be around. We've had the opportunity to go to the sealing of our friends at the temple, play with new babies, go to Carter Mountain, enjoy the Children's museum and the park and just enjoying the outside. We've just had beautiful weather.

Here are some pictures from the month:

Painting with his cousin, Aaron.


At the pumpkin patch.

Sharing a moment with dad- laughing about the cow, maybe?

Enjoying his first little tractor ride.

We love the corn pit!

He loved running around in the corn maze.


Add caption

Our little family!


He rode all by himself!! He was definitely the youngest/smallest kid to ride, but he did great (and don't you just LOVE that dimple?)

Seriously, his favorite thing in the world (besides actually being outside, of course).


I am so in love with this kid. 



Haha!!! I just thought this was funny. He was eating cheerios and spilled some on the floor and then sat in it. And then he did this beautiful pose and I just had to capture the moment.

He's had a couple of sick days this week... and his finger has been in his mouth a lot! I finally just discovered the other day that he is growing one of his molars. (Look at those dark circles).


Trying to learn to climb up the wall. 


First time down the slide all by himself!!


Loving the swing!!





Helping/watching the wheat grind.

"Kneading" his bread.

Having a little taste.

He's gotten so good at stacking blocks! 


And he's always so proud of himself and likes to show us his accomplishments! :)






So beautiful!

Loving that apple!






Picking apples.


That pumpkin's as big as he is!

I realize this picture is not very flattering, but I had to include it because Caleb has recently become obsessed with sticking his tongue out. 


This month:

*Caleb has really started talking more. It's so cool!! He doesn't label anything yet- just says, "dat" to whatever it is he wants us to look at or tell him about. But he does say:
- "Dod it" (Did it).
- "I get it"
- "I got it"
- "Dat"
- "What is it?" (which kinda sounds like he's cursing- and he often whispers it).
- "What's that?"
- "What is that?"
- "Daddy!"
- "I dropped it!"
- "Bahduh" (bottle- any kind of bottle).
- "Nah" (no)
- "Stop" or "stop it"
-"Dipah" (I think he's saying diaper)
- He also signs, "please"

I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

* He also babbles a ton (and changes the tone of his voice)- so maybe he's saying more and I just haven't figured it out, like sometimes it sounds like he says things, but since I'm not sure, I don't include them. He has yet to call me "mama" or anything of the like. I can't wait for that day. He doesn't say "hi" or "bye" yet and he doesn't wave yet, but if you say hi or bye to him, he'll look at you. It can be kind of awkward sometimes when people look at him and wave and continuously say, "Hi! Hi! Hi!" and expect him to respond with anything more than a look in their direction. Sometimes I will  take his hand and wave for him or sometimes I just explain that he doesn't wave yet (you know, he's not trying to be rude or anything).

* He seriously understands everything!

* He is so clever, too, and tries to fool me sometimes... poor child. :)
- examples include putting food in his mouth, then spitting it out so fast that I might have missed it if I weren't paying close attention, then telling me "dod it".
- If I ask him not to do something waiting until the precise moment I turn around then proceed.

* If you ask him to show you his belly or "Where is your belly button?" He'll lift up his shirt.

* If you ask, "What do you want?" often times he'll walk to the refrigerator or pantry to let you know he's hungry or thirsty. He'll also just go, "Mmmm... mmmm" to let you know he's hungry.

*He loves to be helpful and will help me do anything. If he's playing and I ask, "Caleb do you want to help me/mommy ____", he'll usually come running.

* He's been helping me cook a lot lately. He loves to stir and pour in ingredients.

* Dancing is one of his FAVORITE activities. If you ask if he wants to dance and make up some music if none is available, he'll dance around and laugh about it.

*He loves to climb over and wrestle with mommy and daddy.

* He grew a new tooth this month and is in the process of growing one of his molars.

* He is such a good listener. If I ask him not to do something, he'll often stop. If I ask him to wait, he'll often wait. If he doesn't stop doing something after I ask, I'll usually let him know that he has two choices: to stop or to sit in time-out. Usually that will get him to stop, if my simple asking did not. At the park, I'll tell him it's time to go after going down the slide one more time and he'll leave with no problem. He's just a good kid. Sometimes, it'll take him a minute to comply though- but he doesn't run off and do something else, he'll just stand there and I let him come when he's ready rather than force him (unless it's a dangerous situation) and we hardly ever have any issues. Since he's a headstrong, determined and independent little boy, I've just learned that the more "freedom" (or forced choices) and independence, I give him, the more he complies- it's like we have this mutual respect for each other. For example, last night, we all had prayer in his room and then it was time for bed. Jeff and I take turns rocking him before putting him in bed. I sat down in his rocking chair and told him it was time for bed. Jeff left the room, leaving the door ajar behind him. Caleb put down his beads (he's been playing with this string of beads lately) and heads towards the door. I remind him that it's not time to play, but that it's time for bed. He paused at the door for a bit, then turned around and came to me and sat in my lap so I could rock him. There was no arguing, crying or forcing. :)

* He's so smart. :) This morning I asked him to get his shoes- they are in a little cubby in his room. We were in his room with him. He went and grabbed a pair of white sneakers- first, I didn't realize he could match his shoes. He put them on the floor, then pulled out his green crocs, brought them to me and signed, "please". I think it's cool that he can make a decision like that.

*He loves to fetch balls. He'll bring a ball to us and we'll throw it. Then he'll say, "I get it" and go get it.

* If he needs help with something, he'll usually say, "get it" or "dat" over and over again.

*He continues to love to read and will bring me books for me to read to him. Then I'll give him a book and ask him to read it to me and he will. He's done this for awhile, "read" books, but it's neat to see how his language is progressing as he is getting older.

* I've learned this month that if he is super quiet, I really better go check on him. He loaded the toilet with clothes, including a sock that he was wearing, a ring toy and baby wash.

*I've also learned that if he says, "Dod it" and we're not in the same room, I'd better check to see what it is that he did. For example, yesterday, he grabbed the wii remote off of the table. I asked him to put it back. He left the room. Then he comes back in and stands in front of me and says, "Dod it. Dod it." So I asked him to show me. He leads me by the hand, into the kitchen and over to the trashcan. He lifts up the lid and points in. Inside, I see the wii remote. He's done other things, too... like throw other things away, put items in places they don't belong, etc. He's often so proud of himself, that you can't help but smile.

I feel like I am missing a few things (and I know this is long enough)- like I said, I guess he's just at that age where he is constantly learning. It amazes me how much he knows and how much he understands. I love and appreciate the little boy he is becoming. Seriously, I'm convinced that I have the coolest kid- even when he doesn't sleep.


And here I am at 25 weeks (and 1 day pregnant). I can't believe that I am 26 weeks pregnant already. Just 14 weeks to go (you know, give or take).


























1 comment:

  1. I love love LOVE the pictures of Caleb in the corn maze and picking out pumpkins. He's such a handsome kid!

    ReplyDelete