Friday, March 2, 2012

First Week Home.

So it's been one week since I quit my job to stay home with my baby boy. And what a week it's been. Here's what we've done this week:

We spent a couple of days playing with Carolena's kids. 

We went to the park for the first time since he was tiny. And he ate sand for the first time.

He had fun playing with Layla. :)

I organized the game closet. I sure wish there was a before picture- it was horrible before. 

We had lots of snuggle time.

And lots of cuddles. 

And lots of attempted naps that ended up like this- I put him down, not five minutes later did I hear him making noises. I  peeked in and this is what he was doing. This is before he saw me.

This is after he saw me.

We laughed  alot.

We cried some.

See this fan? 

I replaced it with this. :)

I did lots of laundry.
We went on several walks. 

So serious.

Remember that fan I replaced? Looks good, right?

It literally took me all day to finish this project because I had a baby to tend to. He was never content for long, so I had to keep stopping and starting over and over again.


I also went grocery shopping, made several phone calls to get tax stuff straight so we can file our taxes, read some blogs, read to Caleb, Caleb and I danced. I carried him in my Moby wrap while I cleaned. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather. We got the oil changed and the tires rotated and ran other errands. I started organizing his clothes and clearing out clothes that no longer fit him. And more.

So it's been a busy week. Also the past two days Caleb has decided that he really, really loves his mommy. :) Really, he just wanted to be held and snuggled a lot today and yesterday. Which is fine. We spent a lot of today snuggling and reading and cuddling in between completing other chores today. It's been nice to get things done during the day that I normally wouldn't be able to do until the weekend. It's been so nice having so much time to spend with my baby boy. It's hard for me to imagine having to go back to work after a week like this. We still don't have a routine down yet. I haven't figured that out- but for the past two days, we've tried taking walks around the same time at least. I'm hoping to have a pretty solid routine down by the end of the month.

I've learned that there is a lot of adjustment to being at home. It's only been a week, I know and I'm sure things will continue to get harder/easier as time progresses. But, for a large portion of my life I have been considerably busy. I liked being busy and I enjoyed the stress that came along with it. I figured if I was going to be stressed about something, it was going to be of my choosing. Well, this week, I've kept myself pretty busy- it's almost as though somewhere deep down inside of me, I think this is only a break, much like Christmas break or spring break, and that real life is going to start again next week or the week after and so I have to fit as much as I can into these days. When in reality, this is real life now, this is my life. And so, I need to s l o w down a little, take it all in and just relax. It's okay to not be busy all of the time and to allow myself time to relax, it's just not easy is all. I have so many things that I want to get done (which I am learning that it's not quite that easy with a little one who is so dependent upon you for everything and who, like I said previously, is all about mama these days). Anyway, so next week, I am going to try to take it easy- and then I'll figure out where to go from there. I do plan to head to the library. There are a couple of books, I want to check out. I also need to prepare some things to be mailed and then head to the post office. I have some thank you letters to write. And I really need to organize the guest room again- I kind of destroyed it looking for something. (I may do the guest room tomorrow).

Anyway, so this first week home with baby has been great overall. I should also mention that it's been so fun being with Caleb. He is such a joy and he's at an age right now where I feel like he is learning so much all of the time. It has been so neat to watch him learn and to watch his confidence increase. For example, on Thursday, he was holding onto a chair while standing and let go and grabbed onto a friend's nearby crossed leg and foot. That same day he did the same thing with two pieces of furniture. He was so proud of himself and I got to witness it and be proud of him, too. These little, maybe meaningless moments to some, are moments that I will treasure and make me so grateful that I am able to stay home with Caleb. It's definitely going to be a challenge in more ways than one, but I think the benefit far outweighs the challenge. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment