Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Doctor Visit

For record-keeping purposes really, but read on if you're interested...

So Sunday evening Caleb started to get really fussy. Then that night he just screamed and screamed and screamed. He screamed all night long, not really sleeping longer than an hour. Needless to say, I was exhausted. When it was time to get up at about 5 am, I was near tears myself because I was so tired. I nursed Caleb and he fell asleep in my arms. I also fell asleep and then Jeff woke me up at 5:20. I startled awake which started Caleb awake which then led to more screaming. So, I nursed him again. He fell asleep again for a short while- I got in the shower, but when I got out he was with Jeff, wide awake. He was in his seat and started fussing so I got him and brought him into the bedroom with me while I continued to get dressed. He seemed like he was in a fine mood for a little while and even offered me some smiles. Well, then he started crying again, so I held him and talked with him and bounced him. Then that crying turned into screaming. I didn't know what else to do, so I nursed him and he fell asleep. I continued to get ready for work and get him ready. Jeff held him for awhile and played with him (he obviously woke up). Then when it was time to go, he started screaming again. We were running late so I thought we should just put him in his seat and maybe he'll stop. Wrong! He screamed and screamed and screamed so loud and so hard that he could hardly breathe. So I took him out and held him close and told him it would be okay and that I loved him. And then I nursed him until he fell asleep- it didn't take long. The poor guy was exhausted! Once he fell asleep, I tried to gently burp him and then put him in his seat. He was fine. He slept for 3 hours!! I know because my mother-in-law told me. He really was exhausted.

Well, then he was fine for a little while at her house but then he screamed for like 30 minutes or more straight and she couldn't calm him. I called the doctor and made an appointment for that afternoon. I met her (because I was at work). When they got there, he was asleep. I had to completely undress him which woke him up and then he had to get his temperature taken rectally, which was normal (99.1). He then got weighed, 15lbs 9oz. He's a healthy boy. Then we weighted for the doctor. He did an exam and said that Caleb looked like he was healthy. He said he's definitely thriving. His ears, throat, nose, eyes all looked good. I told him that Caleb was hoarse since Tuesday (when he got two of his vaccinations). He said he wanted to do a blood count just to check since he looked completely fine on the outside. When he came back in, he said that Caleb's blood count is the most normal he's seen in a long time. He looks perfect. So, why this sudden screaming? He said that given Caleb's history, his best guess is that it was GI tract related and that it was caused from something that I ate. Great. He said that it could also be that he's gotten a cold and his throat was bothering him. He then said that if he screamed again like that to give him a dose of Tylenol and that should help him. Finally, he said that if he continued to do it for two more days to give him another call.

So how was last night? Well, he screamed still... it wasn't quite as frequently as the night before, but it was enough to make me exhausted again today. Remember when I wrote that post a couple of weeks ago about his screaming fit (it, too, was a Sunday), well that was food related, too. He had had some milk-based formula, which I think really messed up his little body. He had a pretty hard week and then finally, he was better (after he had a couple of BMs.). He was doing well, so I decided to try to take him off of the Prevacid and didn't give it to him at all on this past Friday or Saturday. I mentioned that to the doctor and he said that he's glad I'm trying to take him off, but that he doesn't think Caleb is ready for that yet. He said it might take until he's 6 or 9 months old. So I guess I'll try again in a couple of months. I just don't like that I have to give him medicine and I am really trying to be diligent about keeping my diet one that he can tolerate and am hoping that that will work and I won't need to give him the medication.
Anyway, I took the day off today. One because I am exhausted. I cannot be a good employee, wife, mother with no sleep. I need my rest and I just needed a break. I want to take care of my baby.  Also, yesterday the doctor asked me some question about Caleb and I couldn't answer him. I said, "Well in the evening..." I felt so guilty that I couldn't answer him about the day because I don't see him during the day except for the weekends. Being a working mom is hard. Being a mom, period, is hard. I am doing my best to try and figure it all out. Anyway, he's been a little fussy this morning so far and was fighting sleep though I could see how tired he was but he is finally sleeping now, so I really should try to get some rest. Last night, we both "slept" on the sofa- it was not very comfortable. He looks and sounds so peaceful now. I love his little sleep noises.

1 comment:

  1. Okay girlie! I have lots of stuff to share! First-check out my blog funwithoutfood.blogspot.com. I think the last post that was written might help you out a little.

    Second-ask your mother-in-law to keep a journal for you about your little guy. Not lots of details, just when he eats, how much he eats, what he eats, when he sleeps, how long he sleeps, and when he's irritable. Have her record his bowel movements too. If she loves you and your little guy I'm sure she won't mind. We do it for all of our kids that have digestive issues. When you go to the doctor next you'll have the information you need and you'll be able to find patterns yourself as you review it each day. You might be able to find links to his moods etc...

    And just word to the wise-Prevacid won't hurt your little guy one bit. It's better for him to be on medication than to feel constant pain. That can lead to far worse consequences.

    I really feel for you! We've been there! And just so you know, switching to formula might be a HUGE help to the both of you. It's not wrong if it helps you be a better Mommy. Obviously the little guy is struggling a lot. I can't imagine how you're functioning. Hang in there! We love you and are cheering you on no matter what you do! Please don't hesitate to ask for help!

    ReplyDelete